Saturday, September 19, 2009

September in France




Six hours bobbing across the English channel had better be worth it. I am not the greatest of sailors and after overdosing on seasicky tablets I made sure I knew where every sick bag was located in the entire ferry.I needn't have worried - the ferry is a massive cruise thingy and hardly noticed the mild swell or the 640 vehicles in its bottom that should have sunk it. I like to look on the bright side.


So, arrived in Cheap Tobaccoland and set off via the marvels of sat nav to the undiscovered interior of Brittany for a weekend of Frenchy fun.


Unfortunately Pontivy was asleep on Saturday but there were plenty of Tabacs to keep my thirst quenched.

Apparently it is traditional to have camels in the street in St Brieuc!


Quimper was also very pretty - this the Cathedral de St Corentin...



Quimper also gave me a taste of French cuisine - yummy!


The river was full of carp who enjoyed l'hamburger - obviously not fussy eaters.

Old bits of Quimper city wall.

And then to Concarneau (Konk Carne in Breton!).....


Me on the wall at Concarneau. It was about 31 degs and me skinnies were cooking me legs!

Ville Close (Closed town) - a town within a fort within the harbour within the town of Concarneau - yes, really!

Loved this part of France - very similar to Cornwall and I now have enough medicinal supplies (l'vino) to last me until Christmas 2015. Bien!

Now...where next?


17 comments:

Grandad said...

Head further south.

It's bloody hot down here in the Perigord at the moment.

Unknown said...

Back in Blighty, G-dad, but returning for the wine-in-a-milk-carton buy-up asap!

Tell me why frenchy shoes are so expensive. Are the little frenchy toes superior to ours?

Kate said...

Oh am so jealous! I miss France Kate x

Unknown said...

It's a gorgeous part of France!
How about Istanbul next?

Unknown said...

France ain't so far away, Kate, there are escape points all along the English coast and at the moment they are quite cheap. Except for the shoes, why the shoes???

Sounds good, Vanilli, I am turning into a globe trotting Minx but Debi is moaning that I haven't trotted to the capital in a while...I'm comin'....

Anonymous said...

I can see France from bedroom window - just thought I would mention that....

Anonymous said...

Lovely blog, Minx, no need for me to lie like a stone horse (or a snake, for that matter). Great post on Brittany - and, yes, it is rather reminiscent of Cornwall. "Where next?" you ask. Well, you could try going off the beaten track in Provence (ie away from the coast); but really almost any region in France has something - many things, even! - to offer.
Greetings from the warm south.

Debi said...

Gorgeous pix - but even better is the news you're heading for the metropolis. You'll find our shoes a little more down at heel but stylish in their own way.

Me, I'm more a pipe and slippers woman these days ...

And word ver is pocizzin which bears an uncanny resemblance to moccasin ... Go fathom.

rita said...

Very nice! I'd love to spend some time there. it seems so Shakespearean or something...

Taffiny said...

I am almost inclined to say that I am sorry about your off partying muse; but with blog titles like September in France, and another with a photo of you rocking a bikini, I'm just not sure I'm up to it. :)

bulletholes said...

You should steam on out to Texas. A girl like you could really excell out here.
Howdy Minx!

Marie said...

Nice pics!

Debi said...

Hmmm - wonder if she'd notice if the squatters moved in here ...

It's been a long time since we last had a party in an abandoned blog and I feel the need to gulp gin and gaze at a chocolate fountain.

Anyone up for it?

Leslie Hawes said...

Debi...pssssttttt....are you there?
This blog has been abandoned, hasn't it?
I've got chocolate...

Yodood said...

What could cause her to abandon her fans so? It must be one of those tangible types that keep her from typing to her literal types. Ah, well, can't be everywhere. Miss you Miss Minx.

Unknown said...

Eeeek!! Dood, where's you beardy?

Wanderlust Scarlett said...

I dunno where you're going next, but by the looks of it, I better come along to carry your bags and offer you tea and gin.

;p

Isn't France divine? Divine. Which makes it perfect for you!

Scarlett & Viaggiatore