Sunday, April 15, 2007

A child without a voice

Red is a small boy. He has apraxia. In simple terms apraxia, for one reason or another, messes with the connections that connect brain and voice. When I read about him I wanted to jump on a plane and go and rip someone's head off.
.
Why?
.
Red lives in Alabama. His health insurers have decided that he is not covered for therapy during the school breaks and his mum will have to pay for this service that is vital to his wellbeing and development. I was under the impression that we lived in a caring, sharing, rich, progressive society that nurtured its future generations. No?
.
This is close to my heart. I work with children who suffer from apraxia, dyspraxia, dyslexia and other speech related problems. Consistent therapy is VITAL at an early age.
.
Can we help?
Yes, by doing something that we love anyway - writing.
.
Wandering Author would like some help to produce a book of short stories on Lulu.com that will hopefully help towards the cost of Red getting what he needs. He may also need some help with legal stuff, artwork for the cover or general advice. If nothing more, then perhaps you could highlight this project on yer blog.
.
I can't get the link to work with the button so please go HERE for more details.

.

9 comments:

Debi said...

The link took me to my own dashboard ...

Unknown said...

Should be right now.I had a lot of trouble with that html stuff with the button thingy.
I am a technotwit and these things are the work of the devil!

Roberta said...

I wonder if he would like to have The Bronze Rabbit? It lives in Alabama.

Unknown said...

Roberta, that is a lovely thought. WA has asked for stories about children who can't speak.
Please have a go, it is for a very good cause and I think we so-called writers can really do something here.

The Wandering Author said...

Minx, thank you. This really means a lot to me.

Unknown said...

No problem WA. Struggling with a few written words is nothing compared to the on-going struggle that children like Red, suffer every day.
I was moaning about our UK National Health Service the other day - maybe I was a little hasty.
I am not totally up to speed with your services in the US, but surely children should be exempt from the insurance conditions that cover adults.
Who speaks for the children when they cannot speak themselves?

Anonymous said...

A good post Ms M and a good cause...

Jan said...

I shall look at this properly. It is very worthwhile.
I've taught children with special needs and often they really ARE very very special talented lovely people.

Unknown said...

Thank you Mutley, it's not often I go off on a crusade but WHY DON'T THEY REALISE HOW IMPORTANT IT IS TO GET THE SUPPORT IN AT A YOUNG AGE?

Please Jan, take a good look, sharpen your writing pencil and and send something to Mr WA. He needs our support.